Come help producers of open source software for public use – such as in cities and other public organizations – develop and maintain software and policy together. The Foundation for Public Code provides review of codebases that are in our stewardship to help developers build trusted and reliable software that can be widely reused and foster a strong community around it.
We test against the Standard for Public Code to make codebases understandable, reusable and community based. Our standards are high, as well as opinionated, to ensure codebases can be trusted as the infrastructure of society and improve continually, and policy makers can keep technology and architectural choices open.
Part of this effort is to make reuse as easy as possible - for the public organizations that would benefit from using or contributing to these codebases, it’s not always easy to get started, know how to use or procure a solution like this, or even to trust the codebase.
What the codebase steward for support does
As a codebase steward for support, you help remove technical obstacles to help potential reusers adopt and use a codebase.
This means you help:
- potential users find out how to use codebases
- provide assistance in procuring solutions based on codebases
- resolve issues in sales of solutions based on codebases
- connect potential users to potential (trusted) vendors of solutions
- provide a contact point for issues surrounding a codebase
- provide support for the community around a codebase to answer these questions themselves
- partake in the community
If you enjoy applying your expertise and network to solve gnarly technical and procurement problems, connecting problems with solutions, this role might be for you.
What we expect from all of our team members
- share our core values: openness, quality, trust, community, helpfulness
- understand the value of and be experienced with open source products and communities
- want to work for the public good
- have a collaborative work attitude and take pride in making things together
- be able to work independently
- be a strong communicator in English
- have international experience
- be an active participant in the codebase community you support
What we expect from the codebase steward for support
We expect our new codebase steward for support to:
- be a strong community connector who brings together vendors, government procurement experts, developers, designers, managers and other stakeholders around the open source codebases the Foundation for Public Code has in its stewardship
- have experience with supporting open source or government technology communities
- have experience with technology-focused consulting or sales engineering
- be excited to help us develop our codebase support process
- be diplomatic, strategically aware and able to be a strong advocate for the organization
More information about this position
This is a full time role (40 hours/week) in our main offices in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Assistance in relocation is possible.
This is a one year contract, with an option to extend. Compensation is competitive as well as in line with the public mission of the organization.
More about the application process
We enthusiastically encourage people underrepresented in the worlds of technology and government to apply. If you want to know more about the position, please get in touch with Boris van Hoytema at email@example.com or +31 20 2 444 555.
To apply for this position, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are looking to fill this position in the very near future and will review applications on a rolling basis.